1. Layers - As always, one can expect to see nearly every Japanese woman (from ages 10 to 100) in layers, even in the scorching summer! (This I still have difficulty comprehending..)
2. Black tights - Usually stirrup, but almost always black. Seen on young Japanese women everywhere!
3. Scrunchies - These cute hair fasteners hold onto pretty much every young Japanese woman’s pony.
4. High-Low Maxis - This edgy skirt/dress length is an emerging trend in Japan, and one of my favorites! (I just bought a black H-L maxi dress from g.u.!)
5. Lace-Trimmed Socks - At any length, these are cute accessories that many women wear. Short ones paired with wedge sandals for a doll look, or knee/thigh-high if you’re feeling shmexy.
6. Bangs - Maybe this doesn’t really count as a trend…but I had to put it in here because I almost never see a Japanese woman’s forehead. Ever.
7. BB Cream - This foundation/sun screen/cream full of nutrients for your skin is all the rage now! Protect your skin and make it beautiful at the same time! (I bought one of these as well and will post a review shortly!)
8. Bikes - Also not really a trend, since they are forever-trendy…but I love them and wish they were just as popular in the States!
9. Victorain-esque Hair Clips - These adorable oval-shaped hair accessories have a sense of antique beauty to them with their lace trimming, pastel palette, and beading.
10. Palazzo Pants - These loose-cut trousers appear to be maxi skirts at first glance, but are then revealed to be pants! Super comfortable, and chic, these are a must-have statement piece for every trendy Japanese woman!
There you have it! Today’s Trends in Japan, spotted by yours truly.
Today I took the Metro into DC and every time I am in the underground I always take notice of the high ceilings covered in what I always thought of as bathtubs. The entire ceiling is created with large rectangular indentations that get smaller as the ceiling turns into the walls. For some strange reason these always look so beautiful to me(: