The other day I was pondering to myself the nonexistence of overalls. I was wondering, “What happened to overalls? When did they cease to exist as if no one had ever worn them?” I know they are a very dated article of clothing, but then it occurred to me that maybe, quite possibly, overalls do exist today, only in a different form. People wear overalls today, but they are far more fashionable, sleek, and modern. To me, at least, overalls are the ancestors of rompers! It makes complete sense! They are both one-piece articles with pants or shorts. Only, the modern version ditched denim, and opted for modern fabric, textures, and prints. Rompers are much more sleek because they are fabric alone, no metal buckles for the straps, as overalls contain. There is also much more diversity in terms of kinds of rompers. I guess one could say that overalls have been reincarnated into rompers! Quite a transformation, and for the best, I think!
1. Layers - As always, one can expect to see nearly every Japanese woman (from ages 10 to 100) in layers, even in the scorching summer! (This I still have difficulty comprehending..)
2. Black tights - Usually stirrup, but almost always black. Seen on young Japanese women everywhere!
3. Scrunchies - These cute hair fasteners hold onto pretty much every young Japanese woman’s pony.
4. High-Low Maxis - This edgy skirt/dress length is an emerging trend in Japan, and one of my favorites! (I just bought a black H-L maxi dress from g.u.!)
5. Lace-Trimmed Socks - At any length, these are cute accessories that many women wear. Short ones paired with wedge sandals for a doll look, or knee/thigh-high if you’re feeling shmexy.
6. Bangs - Maybe this doesn’t really count as a trend…but I had to put it in here because I almost never see a Japanese woman’s forehead. Ever.
7. BB Cream - This foundation/sun screen/cream full of nutrients for your skin is all the rage now! Protect your skin and make it beautiful at the same time! (I bought one of these as well and will post a review shortly!)
8. Bikes - Also not really a trend, since they are forever-trendy…but I love them and wish they were just as popular in the States!
9. Victorain-esque Hair Clips - These adorable oval-shaped hair accessories have a sense of antique beauty to them with their lace trimming, pastel palette, and beading.
10. Palazzo Pants - These loose-cut trousers appear to be maxi skirts at first glance, but are then revealed to be pants! Super comfortable, and chic, these are a must-have statement piece for every trendy Japanese woman!
There you have it! Today’s Trends in Japan, spotted by yours truly.